Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Charles Z Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 23:30:11 EEST

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:13:06PM +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>
>> Fons, you know what? the Faust zita-rev1 version (still old
>> one of course..) now even runs in the web, automagically compiled
>> in asm.js (http://asmjs.org) using latest faust2 git version
>> and running at acceptable speed in recent browsers like Firefox
>> or Chrome (still some issues here…) :
>
> And what's the point of running a concert hall reverb in a web
> browser ? Providing a new 'business model' for audio engineering ?
> With some advertising around it and Google reaping the benifits
> and diverting them to some low tax island inhabitated by the
> stinking rich and their imported household slaves ? If that is
> the future of open source software, I'll step out. Or is it some
> form of masturbation for IT engineers who have nothing better to
> do ? Or are they too stupid to grok what's going on ?
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA

It's not very interesting as is. Not useful for audio engineering or
performance.

However--some people may want to write algorithmic or otherwise
computer generated compositions, not streamed but generated live on
the client end. It's a platform for performance (see for example,
WebPd), in its current form bearing a resemblance to IT porn.

Chuck