Re: [LAD] midi controlers

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Jul 13 2014 - 11:50:32 EEST

On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 19:01 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Len Ovens <len@ovenwerks.net> wrote:
> Just looking through the midi messages used by the Mackie and
> other controlers. It appears to me that it is designed to be
> used on it's own physical midi channel as it uses (up to) all
> the logical midi channels (1 to 16) and so could not work
> running through a midi kb for example.
>

> MIDI Machine Control is even more demanding, although it is all sysex,
> and MIDI Timecode has always been recommended to be delivered on its
> own cable (if using serial MIDI at least).

For serious MIDI work there is always the need to have several
individual computer MIDI outputs. One output very seldom is enough. IOW
if you own several MIDI outs, you usually also own several MIDI ins. As
long as there are free PCI slots, it shouldn't be an issue. Envy24 cards
are cheap at Ebay (~ 30 €). Likely USB MIDI interface jitter doesn't
matter for mixer usage, so additional interfaces would be very cheap (~
10 €).

On Sat, 2014-07-12 at 07:34 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> My last use of MTC/MCC was syncing a sequencer to physical
> tape.

To sync to physical tape I recommend to use SMPTE ;).