Re: [LAD] Drivers for RME (USB) MADI device (Madiface XT)

From: Adrian Knoth <adi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 11 2014 - 16:06:24 EEST

On 08/11/14 05:47, D. Sen wrote:

> I was advised by Paul Davis to inquire on this list whether there has
> been or is likely to be any activity in developing ALSA drivers for the
> RME Madiface XT device. Its a USB device and as such makes it very
> amenable to a portable audio work.
>
> I have used PCIe based Madiface in the past using ALSA. However, I could
> not get the USB based Madiface XT to work. The device was recognized
> correctly (as per the SYSLOG) - however no drivers were loaded.

As of this writing, there is no Linux driver for the madifaceXT. There
is a driver for the madifx that can be extended to work with madifaceXT
as well, but only if connected via PCIe:

    https://plus.google.com/u/1/112574395202528300835/posts/aJSMgiJ4uok

As I said a year ago, it should also be possible to sniff the USB
connection, but this requires a device and a volunteer to do so. You'd
then run Windows in a VM and capture the USB packets with wireshark or
any other USB sniffer.

Jonathan Woithe may have additional information, since he wrote the
drivers for FF400 and FF800.

If you feel comfortable doing driver work, you could also reach out to
RME and ask for the USB version of their Win32/OSX driver. If you're
interested, ping me off-list, and I'll put you in contact with the
relevant person.

I'm also happy to give you a hand if you want to pursue the PCIe route
or do it myself if you can provide me with remote access to the device.
I guess it's only 1-3hrs of work, the majority is already there:

    https://plus.google.com/u/1/112574395202528300835/posts/TXwQkzSGJt5

For the USB equivalent, we probably have nothing at the moment, so you'd
need to develop the entire driver, maybe with or without reverse
engineering.

Cheers