Re: [LAD] [LAU] Ardour MIDI tracer

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2014 - 18:04:17 EEST

On 08/18/2014 10:12 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Qtractor the fader for synth plugins is pre everything ;), that's bad
> design, but I guess not the audio stream is controlled, but the synth
> volume.

while on midi tracks, qtractor mixer/track faders simply deals midi
channel volume (cc#7) and panning (cc#10) messages and that's from its
birth model design (mainly due external/outboard midi h/w).

iow. qtractor midi track faders doesn't deal or affect synth-generated
audio signal whatsoever, at least directly--it all depends on each synth
midi implementation, that is--so "pre" or "post-fader" conventions
doesn't apply nor make much sense there.

fwiw. all generated audio signal from synth/instrument plugins is routed
to some (optional) audio output bus (default sink is "master"). and yes
that will be the one true audio fader you probably should look when
dealing midi instrument plugins audio output.

remember that the qtractor mixer might NOT ever be the final stage of a
mix; qtractor is not, never was, won't ever be, a monolithic solution :)

hth.
cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela