Re: [LAD] Software sound

From: David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 31 2014 - 09:37:38 EEST

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 10:13:19AM +0100, W.Boeke wrote:
> Yoshimi is a neat repacking of ZynAddSubFX. It offers all kinds of
> interesting sound, but I call it musician-hostile. What you see is a bunch
> of controls that you have to manipulate with the mouse while playing, trying
> to read and understand the very small labels (on a modern high-DPI monitor)
> and try to get the sound, attack etc. that you want. It is next to
> impossible to perform this, so you will only try some of the 510 build-in
> patches, but you can't modify them easily. And modifying the sound while
> playing is essential for a good performance. In other words: Yoshimi is way
> too complicated. It would be more useful to supply only 10 patches that are
> easy to modify.

There are efforts under way to separate yoshimi's DSP from the GUI so
that alternative GUIs are possible. A long term goal, so don't expect
this to happen all too soon.

Also hovering around is the idea (and a branch[1]) to add MIDI-learn
functionality to the knobs to replace/expand the existing hard-coded
MIDI bindings[2]
[1] https://github.com/licnep/yoshimi
[2] http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc_3.html

> Take for instance an ADSR envelope generator. In Yoshimi (and in most other
> software synths) there are 4 knobs that you must control. This is replicated
> from old hardware synths. Why not show a small diagram of the envelope, that
> you can modify directly with the mouse or with your fingers?

In both zyn and yoshimi, the buttons labelled 'E' next to the envelope
controls will open a window containing a mouse-editable diagram of the
envelopes.