Re: [LAD] Some questions about the Jack callback

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 20 2014 - 09:16:38 EEST

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Will Godfrey wrote:

> Say we have A, B & C in that order and B&C each take 3mS to return but A
> takes 6mS. Does C get booted out even though it was A that was the time
> hog?

The expectation is that, there is enough time to finish a,b and c all the
time. Otherwise there is an xrun. This means that no matter which one
takes too much time there may be an audible glitch. The answer is to use
greater latency, faster processor, or fewer/different clients. Perhaps a
better question is if it would be possible to know the time taken by each
of the clients so the user could make an informed decision as to which
client to remove... but it could be that the client with the longest time
is also the most important.

Is it really a good idea to try to fix the problems of another client by
doing something that may end up being more audible? Even straight bypass
may be audible if the client changes the sound a great amount. That bypass
then takes some of the time that could have been used to meet the
deadline.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net