Re: [LAD] Some questions about the Jack callback

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 20 2014 - 11:35:59 EEST

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:16:38PM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Will Godfrey wrote:
>
> >Say we have A, B & C in that order and B&C each take 3mS to return
> >but A takes 6mS. Does C get booted out even though it was A that
> >was the time hog?
>
> The expectation is that there is enough time to finish a,b and c
> all the time.

Which is also why clients should be designed to take the same time
in each period. This time may depend on what the client is doing, e.g.
on the number of active voices in a synth, but in all cases the work
should be spread equally over all periods. In most cases that will
not require anything special, the exception being clients that use
block algorithms like an FFT.

The worst offenders here are apps that were not designed as Jack
apps in the first place, and use a large internal period size with
some buffering in between. They will e.g. do nothing for a number
of periods, then bunch all the work for those in a single one.
Such apps should really run their DSP code in a lower priority
thread. This will mean more latency, but at least that makes
them usable.

Ciao,

--
FA