Re: [LAD] Linux audio jobs/companies?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2014 - 14:47:22 EEST

On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 12:41 +0200, raf wrote:
> Le 29 sept. 2014 à 12:34, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> a écrit :

> >> Can you elaborate on that? What exactly is the problem? And what kind
> >> of solutions are people looking for?
> >
> > I don't know if the Linux kernels used for audio-video consumer gear are
> > used for audio and video processing, perhaps they are just used to
> > provide menus etc., but since the end of the 90s I never experienced the
> > good audio and video sync we had with German terrestrial analog
> > television. All analog and digital satellite and digital terrestrial
> > receivers I've seen didn't provide acceptable sync. Assumed at least
> > some of those receiver should do the audio and video processing using
> > Linux too, a smart solution to fix such issues, not by just providing
> > fixed delays, but by detecting the exact drift and automatically fixing
> > it, might be from interest for the consumer gear companies. Perhaps,
> > they wouldn't care about a smart way to fix it, OTOH for colour
> > correctness at least Germany cared, so we once upon a time got PAL.
> >

> you did see that ? I'm surprised. Which brand ?
> I've worked for two years on the A/V testbenches for sagemcom making a
> whole lot of digital satellite receivers and never noticed that.
> Until two years ago they used an RT system on STM32 processors. The
> move to embedded linux was quite new, maybe introducing this issue.

I don't remember the brands of the satellite receivers I owned
(discounter thingies), but a friend repairs receivers, so I've seen a
lot. Many people in German switched to DVB-T, I can see it on my THOMSON
DTI series 500. It could differ for different broadcasts of the same
station. My claim isn't that the receivers cause the sync issue. I
remember that at least some satellite receivers provided to manually set
a delay, but AFAIK no auto-syncing option does exist (similar as PAL to
ensure colour stability). My DVB-T receiver seems even not to provide to
set a delay manually.