Re: [LAD] Linux audio jobs/companies?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2014 - 14:52:57 EEST

On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 13:47 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 12:41 +0200, raf wrote:

> > > I don't know if the Linux kernels used for audio-video consumer gear are
> > > used for audio and video processing, perhaps they are just used to
> > > provide menus etc., but since the end of the 90s I never experienced the
> > > good audio and video sync we had with German terrestrial analog
> > > television. All analog and digital satellite and digital terrestrial
> > > receivers I've seen didn't provide acceptable sync. Assumed at least
> > > some of those receiver should do the audio and video processing using
> > > Linux too, a smart solution to fix such issues, not by just providing
> > > fixed delays, but by detecting the exact drift and automatically fixing
> > > it, might be from interest for the consumer gear companies. Perhaps,
> > > they wouldn't care about a smart way to fix it, OTOH for colour
> > > correctness at least Germany cared, so we once upon a time got PAL.
> > >

> > you did see that ? I'm surprised. Which brand ?
> > I've worked for two years on the A/V testbenches for sagemcom making a
> > whole lot of digital satellite receivers and never noticed that.
> > Until two years ago they used an RT system on STM32 processors. The
> > move to embedded linux was quite new, maybe introducing this issue.
>
> I don't remember the brands of the satellite receivers I owned
> (discounter thingies), but a friend repairs receivers, so I've seen a
> lot. Many people in German switched to DVB-T, I can see it on my THOMSON
> DTI series 500. It could differ for different broadcasts of the same
> station. My claim isn't that the receivers cause the sync issue. I
> remember that at least some satellite receivers provided to manually set
> a delay, but AFAIK no auto-syncing option does exist (similar as PAL to
> ensure colour stability). My DVB-T receiver seems even not to provide to
> set a delay manually.

And I don't claim that THOMSON does use Linux, perhaps, perhaps not. I
only want to point out that lip-sync is a known issue in Germany and
that lot of consumer gear does use Linux. The lip-sync issue might be
caused by the station or anywhere in the chain from station to receiver.
If somebody would event something, that could automatically fix it, this
perhaps could become the next great invention, after the invention of
PAL.