Re: [LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 30 2014 - 21:42:49 EEST

I thought the 'trickle down technology' analogy was a little questionable,
but I find a lot in his talk that resonates with me as a user.

I would like to react, but I will probably record a podcast lil later.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 02:58:23PM +0100, Harry van Haaren wrote:
>
> > Should we improve experience for users?
> > Should we design "experience driven open" software?
> > Should we forward the UX of Linux Audio to the "age of experiences"?
>
> Well, I watched the video until the end, and the only way to
> avoid this having been a waste of my time seems to react to
> it. Balkan's talk itself is an example of 'experience driven
> design'. It goes down easily as it should according to his
> own theories, but once you start thinking a bit about what
> he says you discover it's only a thin layer of sugar around
> nothing. Take the way he compares 'trickle down ecomony'
> with 'trickle down technology'. A vague similarity that is
> supposed to imply something. But does it ? If there is
> really any meaning to this I must be too stupid to grok it.
>
> There is actually a similarity, but not the one he intended,
> between a trickle down economy and the type of world he seems
> to dream about: one consisting of a majority of dumb 'users'
> and an elite of CEO's having great 'design' ideas (remember,
> design has to be driven from the top), and in between a third
> layer, just above the unwashed masses of users, of 'developers
> who need to be just smart enough to realise the bright ideas
> of their CEO.
>
> That division may even de facto exist, I'm not going to
> dispute that. But I'm not going to help make it worse, and
> I'll add why: there's one significant difference between
> the users who expect everything (including thinking) to be
> done for them, and those who are prepared to learn: the
> latter will say 'thank you'.
>

> --
> FA
>
> A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/