Re: [LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 01 2014 - 00:51:28 EEST

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 4:50 PM, <tom@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> . "you know, if you're too stupid to dig our silly
> model of operation you're just not professional". This has to do with
> wrongly understood elitism.

it isn't about being a professional or not. You can be a professional
woodworker or a weekend amateur and use (functionally speaking) the same
tools. The pro might also have a CNC system too, but that doesn't change
things in any particular way.

The difference is between expecting the user to dive toward a deeper
understanding of the task and how the tool makes the task easier (or even
trivial), versus expecting the tool to remove any need to really dive into
domain specific knowledge.

the stuff discussed in the video is all explicitly labelled "consumer"
software (he is trying to differentiate from the "enthusiasts" tools that
GNU and the rest of the open source world has done such an amazing job with
over the last 3 decades). my understanding of that this is that it refers
directly to software that avoids requiring the user to deepen their
understanding of the problem/task and simply aids them in doing what they
(think they) need to do.