Re: [LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 01 2014 - 12:11:11 EEST

On 30.09.2014 15:58, Harry van Haaren wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ldhHkVjLe7A#t=1625
>

> To bring this discussion to a productive start, I'd like to
> concider the tools we have available as the linux-audio community:
> they certainly have features, and empower the user to own thier
> tools, and the data used with those tools.
>
> Should we improve experience for users? Should we design
> "experience driven open" software? Should we forward the UX of
> Linux Audio to the "age of experiences"?
>
> What do users know, that developers might not? What is it that
> needs to change? Are there even issues here? If so, how do we (the
> community as a whole) try to solve this?
>

> I hope this is a productive and inclusive discussion, and politely
> request remaining on topic ;) To a fruitful discussion, -Harry

I was disagreeing with everything he said from the get go (or rather
from the time you linked to). I'm an enthusiast and I don't need shiny
tools and integration. I need well designed (software design,
separation of concern, multiple ways of interfacing, language
bindings, etc.) building blocks to tinker and experiment with.

The one thing that struck a chord though were his last remarks and he
surely wasn't the first to mention those points :) If the open, libre,
software environment doesn't appeal to the non-enthusiast masses, they
are led to the altar of getting their liberties butchered, as is
apparent with modern OSs like OS X and windows, iOS and android and
the popular applications on those platforms.

I'll watch the rest of the talk later, when I'm not busy with getting
food on my table creating non open software on the linux platform ;) I
wonder how he wants to solve problem of funding. Polish and
Integration is a monumental task eating tons of resources. Ain't no
enthusiast got time for that (unless they find a way of financing)..

Regards,
Flo