Re: [LAD] Guitarix 0.31.0 released

From: Gianfranco Ceccolini <gianfranco@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 02 2014 - 19:19:59 EEST

Hi LADs

First of all I’d like to thank Hermann for his support and great effort with the Guitarix code. It really means a lot for us.

I also want to get the hook of the USB Audio stretch goal topic and disclose important information with you guys.

As a market product, when we say “USB 2.0 24bit Audio Interface” we mean the complete package, that is:

A - USB device hardware port;

B - ALSA USB gadget driver running in our device;

C - USB Audio driver running on the host computer - be it Linux, Mac and Windows.

In this scenario, any user would have this feature, independent of adopted OS and technical knowledge. This is what the stretch goal is about.

Without the stretch goal, what we have already is item A and part of item B.

Also, as we’re adopting class compliant devices, item C is already “factory shipped” for Linux and Mac boxes. But not for Windows. Microsoft only provides USB 1.0 Audio class compliant driver (16bit, 44.1kHz). We don’t have Windows developers in the team (and don’t intend to have) and our worst nightmare is to start supporting Windows drivers, with all it’s versions, chaotic organization and kind of dodgy business model.

Being so, we’re outsourcing the Windows USB 2.0 Audio driver. Part of the stretch goal money goes into this acquisition. The other remaining part goes to registering a USB vendor ID and homologation tests to have the USB compliant logo.

And why am I telling you all this?

Is because considering only the Linux Audio universe, the USB 24bit Audio is practically a reality, independently of the stretch goal.

The hardware is all set and the USB Gadget driver, although not running “out-of-the-box” yet, is already included in the ALSA stack and shall be working in no time. In our current kernel, version 3.4, it is Experimental, but on the newest mainline kernel, version 3.17, it is not Experimental anymore.

One of our developers is working full time in it and I’m also pretty sure that many of the LAD subscribers can give us great advice on this implementation :-)

The Buba and Mango boards.

Another important thing to mention is the $125k stretch goal for the A23/A33 CPUs.

We’re currently using an “off-the-shelf” CoreBoard that features an AllWinner A20 1.0GHz CPU.

If we reach the goal, we’re designing a custom coreboard featuring the A23/A33 CPUs (they are pin to pin compatible). They are both 1.5GHz, being the A23 dual core and A33 quad core. This will be called the BubaBoard.

We will design the schematics and will outsource the layout mainly due to routing DD3 memory which is out of our scope.

Together with the Bubaboard we’re designing a baseboard onto which you slot the Bubaboard into. This Baseboard will have all connections (audio, video, USB, etc) in order to use the Bubaboard without the MOD and will be called MangoBoard.

Both the Buba as the Mango will be released as Open Hardware. We already released all ControlChain related hardware as open source and the boards shall be just the same.

Being hardware designers, our idea is to provide the community with a ARM Development kit geared towards audio development. We really miss something like this available in the market as all ARM based development boards are much more driven to video than audio.

The Mango shall have decent AD/DA codecs and a good audio circuit sporting 1/4’jacks instead of the lousy 3.5mm jacks featured in most ARM dev boards.

I’ve seen lots of projects trying to make use of the RPi or even the Cubieboard for audio and I believe our boards shall boost this kind of initiatives.

Hope to have clarified everyone.

It’s one of my goals to keep a open and sincere communication with the Linux Audio community and also provide everybody with the knowledge we can offer.

Unfortunately we don’t have infinite resources and thus we depend on revenue to offer all we want to. The stretch goals are the way to make it. Hope you guys understand it.

At each day that passes the MOD Team feels a bit more proud of being part of such a cool community as this.

Kind regards to all

Gianfranco Ceccolini
The MOD Team.