Re: [LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 03 2014 - 02:19:44 EEST

On Thu, 2014-10-02 at 14:22 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> The dx21 only has 8 because it only has 4 operators. This is math
> related rather than usablity related.

Yesno, take a look at the 32 algorithms of the DX7, some perhaps sane
combinations are missing, not to mention that a second feedback could be
useful. Instead of giving the operator an envelope, giving the feedback
an envelop could be useful, at least when easy editing based on a preset
is wanted. For the DX7 there were several software updates available,
some from Yamaha, others from third party, but AFAIK no update advanced
the sound editing options, just the function options got bug fixes
and/or were advanced. Some limitations likely were done to make the DX
series not too complicated. I remember that when I first used a very
simple Moog, I had to learn what option does cause what sound. Starting
with a very complex modular synth would have been much to complicated to
start understanding those analog synth. Fazit: The right tool for the
right target group and use case. There is no right or wrong approach, no
final solution to get the best universal result. But I suspect that less
old school musicians like to use LMMS on Unity. Rosegarden on Xfce or
similar likely is closer to "our" needs, IOW sane ideas for different
target groups are jumping at us, there's not really the need to think
about ways how to improve approaches/results.

The MOD Duo seems to be a good idea, but the slogan likely will make
musician scratching their heads.
"It's a truly multipurpose effects pedal. It puts hundreds of music
pedals into just one powerful little box with unlimited connections."
In practise nobody ever used effect pedals in this way, while many
musicians already in the past had the possibilities to get such setups.
Musicians usually prefer a hand full of pedals and they much more care
about some models from some vendors or modern multi-effects that provide
something similar to this hand full of effects. Quality over quantity.
Musicians usually prefer a few effects from some vendors, just because
they provide what they need, it has nothing to do with knowledge or
costs.