Re: [LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 04 2014 - 03:59:59 EEST

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> I have asked people who already have similar gear about the mod boxes and
> while they are interested in the platform they are put off by the price.

compare to this for example:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-100bt
$160, but you have to buy new effects... after the first 100 already
there.

> Until they reach the economies of scale to be price competitive there will
> be a small market. Especially if trying to sell to the existing Linux
> peeps who are generally pretty cheap when it comes to actually parting
> with their own personal cash. Several people have tried to tap the market

I did notice they do not seem to be looking at the Linux users market, the
promo shows the user with an apple product for browsing. The form is
enough different than the norm that players will recognize it on the stage
if they see someone else using it. It is very hard for me think like the
group of people this is/should be aimed at, because I am one of those
"cheap" Linux guys. Though of all the kickstarter categories I am most
attracted to the "gift a developer" one... even for a gift size bigger
than the next two categories.

Free and open seem to have almost no meaning/value to those who do not
already know what that means and value it. Cheap and effective or over
priced and branded are what seems to be attractive to people. I guess what
I am trying to say, is that spreading Linux and it's tools is not going to
be simply adding a nicer/easy UI. Those things will not hurt and besides
will help those already using the SW.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net