Re: [LAD] AoIP question

From: Winfried Ritsch <ritsch@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 10 2014 - 22:06:13 EEST

Am Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 08:47:25 schrieb Len Ovens:
> I have been doing some reading on audio over IP (or networking of any
> kind) and one of the things that comes up from time to time is collisions.
> Anything I read about ethernet talks about collisions and how to deal with
> them. When I was thinking of a point to point layer two setup, my first
> thought was there should be no collisions. Having read all the AES67 and
> other layer 3 protocols there does not seem to be mention of collisions
> really. My thought is that on a modern wired network there should be no
> collisions at all. The closest thing would be a delay at a switch while it
> transmitted another packet that in a hub would have been a collision.
>
> So my thought is that AoIP at low latencies depends on a local net with no
> collision possible. Am I making sense? or am I missing something?

just to add my two cents for ideas:

In robotic there is a open source solution for linux kernels called rtnet,
which has exactly the purpose to prevent collision and garantee low latency
over network:

 http://www.rtnet.org/

I tried this to get my autopianoplayer with less jitter and speak with the
microchip dsPIC board escher over Ethernet,( even I got other problems...)

I think using rtnet would be nice for a open source simple audio-card over
Ethernet.

mfG
 winfried