Re: [LAD] zitaretuner

From: Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:27:02 EEST

On 10-10-2014 21:14, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Today I got an email of a user asking me to help him make a plugin
> called 'zitaretuner' work. I never wrote such a plugin, and I didn't
> even know it existed. So I can't help this user.
>
> Of course this made me curious, and I managed to get a copy of
> the source code of this lv2 plugin. And I wasn't very amused.
>
> As expected it's based on zita-at1, and again a complete disaster.
>
> The DSP code of zita-at1 is written as a neat self-contained C++
> class with a very clean interface, and this is done explicitly to
> make it re-usable.
>
> But instead of re-using it, the author of the plugin decided to
> rewrite it in C, and combine it in the same source file with parts
> of libzitaresampler (instead of using that as a library as it is
> meant to), and with whatever is required to turn it into an lv2.
> The whole thing is just a single source file.
>
> The same author (who is know only as 'jg') didn't bother to add
> a decent GUI, relying on the plugin host to create one. That means
> for example that the note selection buttons (which also double as
> 'current note' indicators in zita-at1), are replaced by faders.
> Only $GOD knows what they are supposed to control.
>
> And as a final topping on the cake, that whole crappy thing is
> presented as if I were the author of it all. No mention at all
> that things have been modified, and by whom or why. This alone
> is a clear violation of the license under which zita-at1 was
> released. And whoever did it doesn't even have the courage to
> identify him/herself.
>
> I've complained about this sort of thing before, and this time
> I'm really pissed. So let one thing be clear: I will never again
> release any code under a license that allows this sort of thing
> to happen.

I know who this user his and had my share of troubles with him as well.
(including recently)

He's very stubborn to the point of Paul Davis having to clear his (very
wrong) misconceptions about JACK.
Anyone that visits the LM forums probably knows who he is...

Fons, I hope you understand this is an exception.
Most of us are not like this.