Re: [LAD] build problem with ambix plugins + LV2

From: Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 14 2014 - 12:06:34 EEST

On 10/13/2014 09:41 PM, Matthias Kronlachner wrote:
> On 13/10/14 21:34, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>>
>> On 13-10-2014 20:16, Matthias Kronlachner wrote:
>>> Hi Jörn,
>>>
>>> thanks for the report, I did not check the Linux build for long time
>>> and I accidentally deleted the wrapper.
>>> I fixed it, should build fine now.
>>> (The wrapper is not part of the official JUCE distribution, it was
>>> written by Filipe Coelho.)
>>>
>>> However, the GUI of the LV2 plug-ins does currently not work,
>>> therefore you have to use the native GUI of the host.
>>> This is particularly a problem for the (binaural-)decoder, where you
>>> have to load a preset in the GUI in order to generate output.
>>> You can build the plugins as standalone as well and connect the
>>> decoder via jack. You are used to that anyway, right :-)
>>>
>>> It would definitely need someone else to fix Linux related problems,
>>> but you can still nag me if something's wrong.
>>
>> Filipe here (Juce-LV2 wrapper author).
>>
>> What exactly is the problem with the LV2 UI?
>> Which hosts have you tested it with?
>> Does the VST UI work?
>>
>> Are you using the latest juce-lv2 code as available here?
>> https://github.com/DISTRHO/DISTRHO-Ports/tree/master/libs/juce/source/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/LV2
>>
>> If you give me a link to the source I'll have a look at it.
>>

> Hi Filipe,
> thanks for the reply! I am using the latest version of your wrapper,
> just got it today from your repo.
>
> You find the plug-ins here: https://github.com/kronihias/ambix
>
> Some VST-UIs work, but not all.
> Eg. the decoder vst GUI works, but the LV2 version does only show an
> empty window.
> The encoder GUI crashes, might be OpenGL related.
> I tested it with Ardour-3.5.403.

Well after building the LV2 code the issue is clear - you do not have
proper URIs for the plugins.
LV2 uses URIs to identify plugins, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_resource_identifier

Making the LV2 URI a single plugin name is very wrong and against the spec.
If you don't have a domain you can use "urn:ambix:PLUGIN".
The URI doesn't have to exist on the internet, it's only used locally to
identify the plugin.

After setting a proper LV2 URI the UI appears and works as usual [1].

In short, just change the broken JucePlugin_LV2URI macro in your
AppConfig.h files for a real URI and it should work.

[1] - http://i.imgur.com/FSqaxn0.png