[LAD] jack midi python

From: Egor Sanin <egor.sanin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2014 - 11:18:18 EEST

Hi folks,

I'm trying to write a small utility in python that will help me
redirect and route midi and osc to various software through jack. I'm
finding that mididings, which I am a big fan of, doesn't quite fit for
this particular task, so I started to look for other midi manipulation
modules.

Though there seems to be a dizzying array of modules that are designed
for handling various midi tasks from python, I have settled on the two
separate rtmidi ports: python-rtmidi
(http://trac.chrisarndt.de/code/wiki/python-rtmidi) and rtmidi-python
(https://github.com/superquadratic/rtmidi-python).

My question is for those that have used either or both modules for
their software:
Can you recommend one over the other, and for what reasons?

So far in my experimentation I've had trouble running rtmidi-python in
a Python3 environment.

NOTE:
As these kinds of threads tend to digress here quite frequently, I'd
like to emphasize that I'm not interested in whether python is the
right language for this kind of thing, or whether midi on linux is
bad/good, etc. -- I really don't care. I'm just interested in whether
anyone has used the abovementioned modules and if they have pros/cons
for one or the other.

Many thanks.