[LAD] User eXperience in Linux Audio

From: Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 19 2015 - 01:40:10 EEST

Hi All,

As promised just at the closing ceremony of LAC, an email opening the
discussion of User Experience on Linux Audio. To all Developers,
please use this as a checklist and consider supporting each item. It
will improve the user experience.

1: Splash Screen
If an app takes more than one quarter of a second to open, use a
splash screen to give feedback. Feel free to contact me directly to
collaborate on a splash screen graphic if necessary. Ensure the splash
is shown immediately, before lengthy operations such as scanning for
files or loading content.

2: Presets
Synths and Effect plugins often provide presets - show a preset
selection "in" the main UI, or 1 click away. A fast way to browse
presets greatly enhances UX when searching for a sound. Ideally
support "scroll-wheel" interaction for changing presets.

3: Hotkeys
- Ctrl Q, Quit
- Ctrl W, Close Project
- Ctrl S, Save
- Ctrl Shift S, Save As
- Escape, Context sensitive "close"

I'm aware most of the recommendations above are obvious, and that many
programs support these already.
Cheers, -Harry

--
http://www.openavproductions.com