Re: [LAD] User eXperience in Linux Audio

From: Gordonjcp <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 19 2015 - 14:35:38 EEST

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 11:40:10PM +0100, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As promised just at the closing ceremony of LAC, an email opening the
> discussion of User Experience on Linux Audio. To all Developers,
> please use this as a checklist and consider supporting each item. It
> will improve the user experience.
>
> 1: Splash Screen
> If an app takes more than one quarter of a second to open, use a
> splash screen to give feedback. Feel free to contact me directly to
> collaborate on a splash screen graphic if necessary. Ensure the splash
> is shown immediately, before lengthy operations such as scanning for

Just as long as it's not modal, or better yet make it optional. There's nothing worse than a big ugly graphic blotting out the middle of your screen preventing you from doing anything while you wait for some buggy slow piece of crap to load.

Splash screens are a symptom, not a solution.

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ