Re: [LAD] Strange Jack1 problem

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 13 2015 - 23:50:00 EEST

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:21:58AM +0100, Simon Jenkins wrote:

> > On 13 Aug 2015, at 08:10, Stéphane Letz <letz@grame.fr> wrote:
> >
> > I am surprised also JACK1 does no do topological sort which obviously is the needed way...
>
> Jack1 was always trying to do a topological sort, but it turns out
> the algorithm chosen doesn’t always achieve one. This is a bug not
> a mis-feature:

That's a matter of opinion :-) A typo, forgetting to cover some
corner case, being off by 1 in a loop etc. etc. I'd call bugs.
Using the wrong algorithm is in a different class.

It also means that this was never seriously tested.

> The surprise is that it took well over a decade for anyone to spot it.

Partly because in many cases you wouldn't notice a period
delay, or even several periods. It makes nonsense of any
latency compensation schemes etc. of course.

And I can assure you that it's not very rewarding to chase
a suspected bug in your own software for days on end because
you happen to be the type of fool who *does* do some testing
before releasing anything, only to discover that it's not
your 'bug' at all.

Ciao,

--
FA