Re: [LAD] Strange Jack1 problem

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2015 - 01:25:04 EEST

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 05:43:51PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

>> > Partly because in many cases you wouldn't notice a period
>> > delay, or even several periods. It makes nonsense of any
>> > latency compensation schemes etc. of course.
>>
>> I don't agree that this is why it wasn't noticed.
>
> Then, why ?
>
> The first reason, IMHO, is that it wasn't tested.
>
> I'm pretty sure that if you throw say 100 *random* client/connection
> configurations at it

what you apparently mean to say, then, is that if someone had done
*random* testing on it, it would have been discovered. and that's
true. but *random* testing is a distinct methodology/process, and
you're right, nobody ever generated a test harness for that. the
testing that was done - it passed. But that's because, as was
indicated before, the tests were covering what was anticipated to be
real life scenarios. It wasn't enough.

> I don't have much time either. Could work on it while on holiday
> in Greece in two weeks. But not very motivated to do so. Why not ?
> Take my latest patch which reorganised some of the code that
> maintains various timers (frame time and the DLL). It was the
> result of several days of work, writing and testing. To my big
> surprise, when investigating the latest issues, I found it was
> actually integrated. But when I sent it to you more than a year
> ago, it could as well have been sent to /dev/null. Not even a
> single line reply.

Sorry for the lack of response. I work 12-15 hours a day on open
source projects with communication flying in every direction. I don't
always do the best job of communication. I also tend to assume that
people who work on JACK in any way are on the commit mailing list.

You continually insinuate that I do a poor job of managing jack1, and
there's some truth to that. I'm entirely happy to turn it over to you
if you want to handle the pull requests, emails, releases and the rest
of the stuff that goes with it.