Re: [LAD] Strange Jack1 problem

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2015 - 01:14:47 EEST

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 05:43:51PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:21:58AM +0100, Simon Jenkins wrote:
>
> >> The surprise is that it took well over a decade for anyone to spot it.
> >
> > Partly because in many cases you wouldn't notice a period
> > delay, or even several periods. It makes nonsense of any
> > latency compensation schemes etc. of course.
>
> I don't agree that this is why it wasn't noticed.

Then, why ?

The first reason, IMHO, is that it wasn't tested.

I'm pretty sure that if you throw say 100 *random* client/connection
configurations at it (rather than just the obvious ones), it will
fail in at a least 10 cases. And even one would be enough. This is
how you test any algorithm that isn't 'obviously correct'. And even
those that appear to be.

> But tather than tilting at windmills, seeking to assign blame, and/or
> complaining about already acknowledged ridiculousness of the
> situation, we figure out how to fix it?
> I have essentially no time right now to work on Jack1 myself, and that
> won't change for at least a couple of months. There's already a
> backed-up/delayed release that I haven't been able to get to.

I don't have much time either. Could work on it while on holiday
in Greece in two weeks. But not very motivated to do so. Why not ?
Take my latest patch which reorganised some of the code that
maintains various timers (frame time and the DLL). It was the
result of several days of work, writing and testing. To my big
surprise, when investigating the latest issues, I found it was
actually integrated. But when I sent it to you more than a year
ago, it could as well have been sent to /dev/null. Not even a
single line reply.

Ciao,

--
FA