Re: [LAD] Multiple JACK servers connected in one host?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 11 2016 - 21:13:43 EET

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 08:34:30AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Are we absolutely sure this is the case? That Jonathan has not found a
> > "bug" in JACK2 or the DSP load algorithm?
> >

> the dataflow algorithm doesn't have a lot of room for bugs. but sure, yes,
> it is possible. however, this is easy to determine with a debug build
> (maybe even just a --verbose run) of JACK.

IIRC Jack's DSP load measurement indicates peak load over the
recent history. A client that generates a very uneven load (e.g.
doing big FFTs every Nth cycle) can easily make it indicate
much more than the average CPU load. Of course clients doing
that are just badly implemented, but they do exist.

The complexity of the graph doesn't look like an issue to
me, I'm routinely running such things without any problem.

Ciao,

--
FA