Re: [LAD] aBLETON lINK

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2016 - 18:03:57 EEST

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden
> wrote:

> > The people who designedand wrote Link are entirely familiar with JACK (if
> > only because I taught them about it).
> >

> We know that. So are the people at Google who used JACK as the basic
> design reference for their attempt at low latency audio.

Except .. they didn't.

> Maybe it's because they explicitly stated that AL would *never* run on
> Linux and then attempted to explain their justification for that decision
> with a essay and speech at LAC (but that's just a guess).

Not a very good guess, IMO.

> Jack => Link .... hmmm, no similarity there.

I don't think you've read enough about Link. It does stuff that JACK
transport cannot do. It is designed around concepts that JACK doesn't have.

Conflating JACK (transport) and Link is a mistake. I made it myself. I
would suggest not doing that.

> IIUC, even with all your expert advice AL does not support JACK directly.
> which seems a shame seeing as JACK is a "spec'ed out, cross-platform
> reference implementation" that has *already* found its way into hardware.

I didn't give ableton any "expert advice". I was a guest professor 6 years
ago who happened to be one of the people who taught some of the people who
were later recruited by Ableton and ended up developing Link.

And again, JACK does *not* do what Link does (nor vice versa).