Re: [LAD] aBLETON lINK

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 22 2016 - 20:58:03 EEST

On 09/22/2016 07:30 PM, Tito Latini wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 09:16:12AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> [...]
>> > Ableton have now done that, albeit by circumventing the hardest parts of
>> > the problem (a tempo map with varying meter and tempo).
> What?
>
> I repeat: that's not an innovation.

Did anyone say it was? Why does it matter if it's innovation?

Compared to all the prior-art, I suppose the interesting part of Link is
momentum behind it, along with the apple-style dictated protocol: take
it as-is or leave it. Not the usual years of consortium design
discussions which may or may not eventually result in consensus and more
like a floss-like benevolent dictator style (think jack, or LV2).

The closest thing to innovation is "Pro Audio company that usually does
closed-source proprietary software publishes an API and reference
implementation under GPLv2" and it work on GNU/Linux, too.

That's pretty cool IMHO and I wish more companies would do that!

Also coming up with a protocol is the easier part. Documenting it,
pushing it out to users, gaining traction in the industry etc is the
hard part.

2c,
robin