Re: [LAD] Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 15 2017 - 18:12:50 EET

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:45:49 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>One of the biggest problems in linux audio is old information, linux
>and the surrounding OS has changed.

The biggest issue within this problem are wikis with links.

When maintaining a Wiki, with too many links, nobody will check the
content of all links, so we tend to not remove the work of others,
because a link might be useful. Usually we only remove dead links, but
not bad links. IMO the best approach is, wenn editing a Wiki, to avoid
adding links, whenever possible.

Another issue is self-responsibility.

If a good documentation e.g. mentions

/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci_hcd/unbind

to unbind USB devices that share an IRQ with an audio interface, it
shouldn't be that hard, to find out that the location changed to

/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci-pci/unbind

A problem could be to notice this or similar issues. At least I don't
check such things all the times when making music. However, it's wise
to not upgrade during a production, so there's no need to check
everything.

IOW when making music, it's not wise to upgrade Ardour, Guitarix etc.,
let alone to upgrade the kernel or something security related. I even
wouldn't risk an openssl heartbleed alike fix, something absolutely
necessarily for a lot of tasks, but completely irrelevant for a DAW.

Btw. I'm a jack2, but jackd and not jackdbus user. Never change a
winning team!

Regards,
Ralf