Re: [LAD] Anyone working on software implementation of Ravenna for Linux?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 15 2017 - 18:32:10 EEST

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017, Bearcat ªándor wrote:

> Has anyone encountered any work on this?
>
> How powerful of a computer would be required for a software based
> solution to be able to keep up with a (expensive for now) ravenna
> card, if one wanted full channel count at full data rate?
>
> I understand that it travels over an RJ45 port with standard wiring
> (cat 6). I assume one would want an additional dedicated ethernet port
> for this.
>
> I'm considering learning C just to take this on.

there is a driver, but so far as I know not open source. While it is
probably possible to make an AES 67 endpoint that will work with one aes
67 box. I do not think a full endpoint that becomes part of the aes b67
network is possible without a hw network clock as the intel i210 ethernet
cards have. Concidering the cost of Ravena interfaces.... AVB may be a
better bet anyway. There are open drivers for avb... if unfinished. there
seem to be some afordable avb audio interfaces around too.

Still, if you have access to a revena interface, go for it.

BTW, the intel i210 cards seem to be cheaper from hp than from intel, or
they were when I bought mine. Same card...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net