Re: [LAD] Anyone working on software implementation of Ravenna for Linux?

From: Bearcat Şándor <bearcatsandor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 16 2017 - 00:37:10 EEST

Ahh, i was misunderstanding. I was under the impression that i could just
put an extra 2 ethernet ports into my computer, install the kernel drivers
and libraries (when they're available) and have an operational Ravenna
input/output. However, if it needs a wordclock then it obviously needs a
card. I had thought that the 'wordclock' was part of the data packet.

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jul 2017, Bearcat Şándor wrote:
>
> Has anyone encountered any work on this?
>>
>> How powerful of a computer would be required for a software based
>> solution to be able to keep up with a (expensive for now) ravenna
>> card, if one wanted full channel count at full data rate?
>>
>> I understand that it travels over an RJ45 port with standard wiring
>> (cat 6). I assume one would want an additional dedicated ethernet port
>> for this.
>>
>> I'm considering learning C just to take this on.
>>

> there is a driver, but so far as I know not open source. While it is
> probably possible to make an AES 67 endpoint that will work with one aes 67
> box. I do not think a full endpoint that becomes part of the aes b67
> network is possible without a hw network clock as the intel i210 ethernet
> cards have. Concidering the cost of Ravena interfaces.... AVB may be a
> better bet anyway. There are open drivers for avb... if unfinished. there
> seem to be some afordable avb audio interfaces around too.
>
> Still, if you have access to a revena interface, go for it.
>
> BTW, the intel i210 cards seem to be cheaper from hp than from intel, or
> they were when I bought mine. Same card...
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

Bearcat M. Şándor