Re: [LAD] Anyone working on software implementation of Ravenna for Linux?

From: Bearcat Şándor <bearcatsandor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 20 2017 - 22:09:13 EEST

Huh. What i'm looking at purchasing are a bunch of these
https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/sam-studio-monitors/8430a-ip-sam-studio-monitor
 for an ambisonic setup. They have a Ravenna input and they can be run in
mono or stereo. Looking at the manual (
https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio%20monitors/SAM%20Studio%20Monitors/8430A/8430a_opman_ip.pdf
) it states "There are some requirements for the AE67 network. The network
must run a clock source supporting the Precision Time Protocol according to
the format defined in IEEE 1588-2008. Several audio sources and media IP
switch devices can act as PTP clock sources for the network. It is also
useful to make sure that the IP switches delivering the audio streams have
been configured to prioritize the PTP clock messages and the RTP audio
streams over other traffic."

From what you're saying i'd need to output the software stream from my
computer using a secondary ethernet port into a ptp router then into my
speakers.

Why would i need to buy an expensive router? Why not just build my own
router using http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/ or
https://github.com/ptpd/ptpd
How does Jack2 (dbus) fit into all of this?

It seems like the ptp software above can connect multiple computers, so i
could just start out with a mini-pc with a 4 jack ethernet card and add
more mini-computers as i need to yes?

Or am i completely confused?

Thanks

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017, Hanspeter Portner wrote:
>
> On 16.07.2017 02:13, Len Ovens wrote:
>>
>>> to sync your internal audio card to an external ntp server. This
>>> accuracy pretty
>>> much requires a HW ntp server. As I said the intel i210 ethernet cards at
>>> $60-ish seems to be about the cheapest route.
>>>

>> It think it should be PTP [1] instead of NTP above, the latter is not
>> accurate
>> enough.
>>

> Thats what I get for answering off the top of my head from a camp site :P
>
> PTP can also be run in software timestamping mode, hardware timestamping
>> will be
>> more accurate, though [2].
>>

> I am not aware of anyone managing to get sw mode to be accurate enough to
> derive wordclock from.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_Time_Protocol
>> [2] http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/
>>

> --