Re: [LAD] What's with Nedko Arnaudov?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2017 - 02:10:09 EET

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, David Runge wrote:

> On December 6, 2017 5:17:53 PM GMT+01:00, Christopher Arndt <chris@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Am 06.12.2017 um 15:28 schrieb David Runge:
>>> This actively keeps programs such as cadence to be integrated into
>> the
>>> [community] repository in Arch, as I will not add flowcanvas back
>>
>> Can you elaborate on that? AFAIK cadence/catia uses PyQt to draw its
>> canvas.
> According to its INSTALL file [1] claudia needs ladish. a2jmidid is an
> optional dependency to cadence.

That is like saying jackd is an optional dependancy to Cadence. Unless
things have changed, there are many debian packages that end up with a
jackd2 dependancy and switching over to jackd1 is not trivial for many
people. Jackd2 also does not depend on a2jmidid, but there are some
applications that depend on jackd2 being able to access a2jmidid even if
it is not listed in the depends. If jackd1 is the goto... please make it
jackd3 and be done with it. Then depricate jackd2. Or roll the code into
jackd2 as well... I really don't care which.

In case you are wondering, installing jackd1 on a debian based machine
that already has jackd2 and other audio appliactions installed will first
remove jackd2 as well as all appliactions that depend on it and then
install jackd1. The user is left with the task of reinstalling their audio
sw... if that sw doesn't first remove jackd1 so it can drop jackd2 back
in place. Is the packaging clearly broken? Yes. Can it be fixed? Half the
problem is based on policy not code. (how long has Linux Sampler not been
in debian?)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net