Re: [LAD] MIDI-2-TCP, TCP-2-MIDI

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 05 2018 - 22:39:02 EEST

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 04:49:48PM -0500, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

> I had not realized that TCP could produce timing errors, I do understand that
> now, I remember that being a challenge in the early development of streaming
> audio. I wonder if OSC2MIDI can use OSC time tag data to handle:
> http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0
>
> I am working on compiling OSC2MIDI right now, does not appear trivial, we'll
> see :-)

I throw few thoughts as I use a lot midi-over-tcp:

On switched ethernet, latency is excelent and the physical link is
reliable. If the network is not busy there are no packet drops and no
delays caused by tcp retransmissions. I've never seen retransmission
in normal conditions.

If the network is busy, the host and/or the routers could be
configured to prioritize and reserve bandwidth for the midi traffic
and avoid retransmissions.

If you use udp or alike, you'll have to detect packet loss (otherwise
note-off events may be lost and certain notes would sound forever),
and retransmit packets by yourself, which is basically what tcp does
for us.

HTH

-- Alexandre