Re: [LAD] MIDI-2-TCP, TCP-2-MIDI

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2018 - 00:49:48 EEST

In general I too am attracted to UDP -- but for MIDI performance
transmission, 0.001% loss is still far too much, because that means one
note in 1,000 might be held and never released, causing massive
encruditation to the moment :-) This is because every time I press a
key there's a MIDI signal for the press, and a separate one for the
release, and if the release is lost, we can have massive
unpleasantry. And a song can easily have thousands of notes. Some of
my tests over the years actually included this behavior!
So it's either TCP only, or it's UDP with complete error
correction. UDP with complete error correction is how NFS over UDP has
been working for ages, so that is clearly an option, but it is also not
exactly trivial programmatically :-)
I have read a lot about OSC. It has seemed to me that it would have to
be an option, given that it seems to have been designed from the
beginning to run over IP, and otherwise to sidestep all of the well-
known MIDI limitations. But whenever I have dug into it in the past, I
have found myself quite profoundly confused by the massive flexibility.
 Recently I ran into OSC2MIDI, and if my understanding of what OSC is
is correct, OSC2MIDI should theoretically be able to do the job if it
is on both ends of the stream, correct? I'll do a bit of testing of
this, see if I can figure out a bit of toolchain design, but input of
experienced persons is much desired.
I will also look at the repos for MIDI over RTP. Sounds like it's
being used in production now for loss-tolerant control surfaces though,
and not performance transmission, correct?
I had not realized that TCP could produce timing errors, I do
understand that now, I remember that being a challenge in the early
development of streaming audio. I wonder if OSC2MIDI can use OSC time
tag data to handle:http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0
I am working on compiling OSC2MIDI right now, does not appear trivial,
we'll see :-)
J.E.B.

Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@email-addr-hidden    (785)233-9977
Hear us at ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 available!