Re: [LAD] MIDI-2-TCP, TCP-2-MIDI

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2018 - 08:31:30 EEST

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 13:00:07 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>MIDI was designed to handle in realtime (10 events from 10 fingers)

That is incorrect, MIDI was designed for sequencer usage, too, so MIDI
provides 16 channels ;). While I only can play 6 channels in real-time
using my guitar synth, even my C64 and Atari ST could play 16 channels
and more (btw. with way less MIDI jitter than any Linux PC can do).
Depending on the usage, we can _not_ use one MIDI connection (one MIDI
cable) for all 16 channels, but sometimes it works, let alone that from
the beginning MIDI also was desgined for usage with several MIDI IOs,
IOW for usage with x * 16 channels. Btw. regarding some data, e.g. pitch
bend messages, not only my guitar synth allows to send "reduced"
MIDI data. From keyboards we e.g. know that after touch often isn't
used, but send. MIDI sometimes require thinking about the setup, to
avoid issues, this is even true for an anlog audio setup or synth
connected by a CV/gate "network". MIDI still requires to think about
what we want to achieve. The MIDI standard isn't made to fit the needs
of braindead consumers. If we think a little bit, we even could use
SysEx non-real-time MIDI data in real-time, without experiencing any
problem.