Re: [LAD] Open Source Design (paid and pro bono design)

From: Spencer Jackson <ssjackson71@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 29 2018 - 19:23:20 EET

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:33 AM Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> Interesting that on their goals page they never mention "users" or
> "customers". So how are they going to understand what works if users are
> never consulted? This could be a mistake that would make the whole
> initiative void. Designers should help design the software, but it has to
> be based on users feedback, with constant testing and iterations. I don't
> see any process there that would actually involve actual users.

From what I can tell, they're largely focused on advocacy, awareness, and
focusing on improving tools and processes to allow designers and developers
to work together more effectively. With some perusal of the forum and
articles there, I get the impression that job board is already more populus
than the design community surrounding it. And I believe any designer knows
improvements must be user-centric, but that isn't the current obstacle
preventing good design in FLOSS software.

Its a great community to be aware of, and I think we could all learn some
things by participating in it, even if we don't ever get designers
contributing to our projects directly.

_Spencer
p.s. I read this article linked from their resources section:
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/first-rule-of-usability-dont-listen-to-users/
from which I understand user feedback is a very poor way to design a
useable program. :p :)
https://ometer.com/preferences.html was also very good. I plan to read more
later.