Re: [linux-audio-user] Funds for free audio software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Funds for free audio software
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 14:34:18 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Firstly is there anyone interested in getting a non-profit Linux audio
> organisation running?
>
> Actually, is that what www.eca.cx is?

AFAIK, eca.cx ist just a domain, owned by kai vehmanen, to host his
ecasound project and the lad and lau archives.

> I wonder if Suse would be interested in contributing. Didn't they just
> get given $50 mil?

it looks like suse is on the verge of bankruptcy. :-(
if the rumours are true, they are having *huge* financial problems
and won't be shedding out money like in the golden days of the va
linux IPO.
the general climate right now doesn't suggest that a huge sum of
money is likely to rain on us in the forseeable future :)

[funding organisation]

IMVHO, a funding organisation can be a huge pain in the ass. who is
to get the money, who is to decide, etc.
uses up time that can be better spent making music.
i think it's far more desirable to talk vendors into hiring software
authors and allow them to work on their projects and make a living
out of it.

plus if the mac/windows giants like steinberg would at last join the
linux bandwagon (even if closed source and expensive), this would be
a strong signal in the right direction and have a very positive
impact on free software as well.
i think we had all better go to every trade show and keep on bugging
them.

just my .02 euro,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany