Re: [linux-audio-user] Funds for free audio software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Funds for free audio software
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 13:36:32 EEST

Linium said:

>I don't know paypal. The ideal is as always to provide various way to
>send money and let people chose the most suitable one for them.
>That's probably why a unique site is a good idea. Once this monetary
>aspect is solved, all programmers can get benefit from it.

I had a look into paypal last year and unless the scheme has changed
they take a certain amount for fees for each transaction. What would be
good is if we get a few bank accounts open in different continents. So
that it doesn't cost too much to deposit the money and we set them up as
non-profit organisations or even better under the same banner. The money
could be used to fund seminars and travel costs or setting up stalls at
the big events. We should be promoting our combined skills and talent.

One day I would would like to see a big Linux multimedia art festival
and this could be a good way to get some funds. There must be some
sponsorship due this way by now. The powers that be just need a
certified non-profit to give it too.

Of course the question of who or how it would be run is another story ;-]

Firstly is there anyone interested in getting a non-profit Linux audio
organisation running?

Actually, is that what www.eca.cx is?

I wonder if Suse would be interested in contributing. Didn't they just
get given $50 mil? Or maybe we should just go straight to the graceful
benevolent providers IBM. They keep yelling about how much they are
spending. We should be able to get a couple of thou out of them.

We could start with a bank account in the US and a bank account in
Europe. Use Euros and US dollars, get people to post in a donation or
deposit straight in the bank account and inform us. Some one does the
bookkeeping or probably better to have a board that checks it over.

It's not like we don't have the skills automate alot of the accounting
tasks. Bill Gribble could probably give us some pointers how to set it
up if we ran in to trouble. Or no doubt someone else around here would know.

I guess it would have to be really important to spend any of the euros
in Britain though ;-)

Maybe we should have a special bank acount just for Pounds.