Re: [linux-audio-user] Funds for free audio software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Funds for free audio software
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 10:57:49 EEST

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

>[funding organisation]

>IMVHO, a funding organisation can be a huge pain in the ass. who is
>to get the money, who is to decide, etc.
>uses up time that can be better spent making music.
>i think it's far more desirable to talk vendors into hiring software
>authors and allow them to work on their projects and make a living
>out of it.

>plus if the mac/windows giants like steinberg would at last join the
>linux bandwagon (even if closed source and expensive), this would be
>a strong signal in the right direction and have a very positive
>impact on free software as well.
>i think we had all better go to every trade show and keep on bugging
>them.

I am starting to think that it is pointless to offer money to the coders
who create the software. I think that we get a more morally justified
product if there is no money involved in it's production. Also there is
less likely hood of getting the evil eye from the people who just do it
for the love of it ;]

The reason why I would like to see a non-profit organisation started for
Linux Multimedia (possibly just Audio) is because we have a message and
one of the best ways to get that message out is to entertain our
audiences with it.

That's why I would like to see a Linux Multimedia event. Something that
we could even tour throughout the world. If we managed to set up
something like this I'm sure we could get funding.

Not only that but it will give those of us who want to create more than
code another venue to express it. Most importantly on ewhich is entirely
based on the open source philosophy (whatever the performer believes
that is).

So, does anyone know of such an organisation? Is there anyone else who
shares this vision with me? Obviously it is not an easy process or
venture to get something like this off the ground but it is possible.
Maybe a good target is 2005. We could start slowly with a small gigs
where we test out the ideas we come up with and build up to the big
event in 2005.

This is one of the processes that we will have to go through if we are
committed to the future of Linux Multimedia.

Another reason I would Like a non-profit organisation is so we could
fund lectures/seminars like the one coming up in Cuba or Linux tag...

Basically we have to spread the message in as many venues as possible.
We are the entertainers of the Linux community so we have a certain duty
to fufill our side of the plan.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Manager Boost Hardware Limited.

Importing Korean Computer Products to New Zealand.

http://www.boosthardware.com - For the discerning hardware connoisseur. http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/Linux_Audio_Users_Guide/ =======================================================================