Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Software Sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Software Sampler
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 23:36:55 EEST

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

> Hi Levi,
>
> Check out timidity.
>
> http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/
>
> I've heard and read that it can play midi files.
> But, I'm not sure if it works in real time or not.
>
> Dave Philip's 'Sound & MIDI Software For Linux'
> http://sound.condorow.net/
> is 'the' list of audio apps for Linux. There's a substantial list of
> MIDI software there. Hopefully one of them will work for you.
>
> What do the experts and other users here recommend for a software synth
> or sampler to do what Levi wants to do?
>
> -Eric Rz.

benno senoner has a program called disksampler. he presented it on
linuxtag, and i played a bit with it then. gave very good responses.
the program supports the .gig file format of gigasampler, but it was
quite hackish. i'm not sure anyone except benno was able to get it
running then, but things may have improved.
see http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourcesmembers.php3#senoner
for a link.

at home, i use a soundblaster live card which has a very nice synth.
i play it with my keyboard, and it works like a charm. plus you can
use smurf, which is very cool.
sb live value cards should come pretty cheap by now.

i hear MuSE (http://muse.seh.de) now has softsynth support, but i
don't know if it can be played in real time.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany