Re: [linux-audio-user] Complete Transition

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Complete Transition
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 10:30:40 EEST

hello ross !

Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm a hardcore power GNU/Linux user, and have been for around 6-7 years. This means I use Windows to play games and write music ::-). I have, every now and then, tried to convert the music side of my Windows usage to GNU/Linux. I'd like to hear what people think is the optimum combination of software to meet my needs. Any information resulting from this question would make a great FAQ entry, and I would love to assemble the data and ship it off to a FAQ maintainer if there is one.

good idea. anyone volunteering ?

> Second, what I've tried. I've looked into the ARTS project's work, as well as The Project Formerlly Known as 'Brahms' (don't recall what they call it now...). Newer versions of Brahms and ARTS looked fairly promising, but I don't use KDE, and quake in fear at the thought of downloading it over my 28.8 connection. I once tried the Jazz MIDI sequencer, but it insisted on crashing. A brief glance at GNU's music notation/sequencer seemed to seriously lack lots of features I have come to depend on from Cakewalk.

i've seen brahms/aRTs on LinuxTag and talked to the authors, Jan
Würthner and Stefan Westerfeld. it is defintely a promising project,
although i understand your download concerns. that's the problem
with all kde apps - they become somewhat inelegant when you use a
different desktop.
IMO, one of brahms' biggest advantages is the score editor. probably
the most advanced that exists for linux.

i have briefly used jazz, but since werner schweer's muse
(http://muse.seh.de) is out, i have stopped using jazz entirely.
muse is quite more flexible, and it is under most active development
(5 releases last month).
it depends on the qt libs, but not on kde. the sequencer part is
very usable already, while the audio part is still a bit shaky. do
subscribe to the muse mailing list when you check it out, it's very
helpful.

> Now, I do believe I have some limitations - SB Live in OSS certainly doesn't support the onboard sequencer. I haven't looked at ALSA since before emu10k1 support existed. Assuming it does support SBLive's internal sequencer, can it dynamically load SoundFonts? Is there a limit to how large they may be? My Windows setup has around 75MB of main memory dedicated to patches.

alsa supports all features of the emu10k1 chip, including the
there is an excellent soundfont editor by josh green called smurf.
about the size of soundfonts, i have heard contradicting things on
alsa-dev. perhaps you might want to search the alsa archives...

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany