Re: [linux-audio-user] Feedback on bootup

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Feedback on bootup
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 18:07:08 EEST

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 07:30:41AM -0700, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to get my sound cards
> mixer settings to be loaded on boot up. The default
> settings have the mic turned up. This causes feedback
> between it and my speakers. This is on my laptop
> running debian.

If you're using OSS drivers (which you probably are if you don't know
what driver you have), you need a command-line mixer such as aumix
that you can call from one of the boot scripts. I don't know about
Debian, but on RedHat (at least on versions 7.x) this is already set
up in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. Just after loading the sound modules, they
call aumix -L -f /etc/.aumixrc (I'm not sure why the dot, since
/etc/aumixrc is standard according to the aumix man page).

So, check your boot scripts to see if they're already calling aumix or
some other mixer. If not, find the place where sound modules are
loaded, and right after that, insert something like:

/bin/aumix -L -f /etc/aumixrc

Now all you have to do is save settings you like in /etc/aumixrc (or
/etc/.aumixrc on RedHat ... grrrr).

As root:
$ aumix

(adjust mixer to taste, then quit.)

$ aumix -S -f /etc/aumixrc

That should do it.

If, on the other hand, you've installed ALSA drivers, you can
accomplish the same thing with amixer. Currently I only have access to
my lame-sounding laptop on which I don't have ALSA, and I don't
rememeber the details, but the general strategy is the same. Set your
mixer how you like it, then (as root) run amixer with whatever option
it uses to save the settings (I forget) to save them in something like
/etc/amixerrc. Then find the boot script that loads ALSA (maybe
/etc/rc.d/rc.local) and call amixer with the load option right after
the ALSA starts.

--
 custom calendars:   http://www.calendargalaxy.com