Re: [linux-audio-user] Real* Plugin and MIME type difference

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Real* Plugin and MIME type difference
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 16:23:16 EEST

Richi Plana wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Mozilla and the Linux version of the RealPlayer plugin
> (ver.8). I tried listening to CNN's live broadcast but my browser
> returned with a message that it couldn't find a plugin for MIME type
> "audio/x-pn-realaudio". I did an about:plugins and it seems the RP8
> plugin only registers the type "audio/x-pn-realaudio/plugin".
>
> Is there any way to let the browser know that to handle the MIME type as
> returned by the site, it should use my RealPlayer plugin?

under "edit->preferences->navigator->applications" you can register
your own mime types.
copy the exact type from the error message and create a new entry
that points to RealPlayer.
there are some syntax subtleties i don't remember right now, but you
should be able to find out by looking at the other mime types that
realplay registered.

good luck.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany