[linux-audio-user] Snd enhancements

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Snd enhancements
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 00:15:23 EEST

Greetings:

  A while ago I mentioned that I was working on various extensions and
enhancements for Bill Schottstaedt's Snd soundfile editor. I've placed a
set of Scheme files here:

        ftp://mustec.bgsu.edu/pub/linux/dp_scm.tar.gz

You'll have to edit some paths in one of the files (misc.scm) if you
want to use them, and they are specific to the Motif build (I build Snd
with OpenMotif 2.1). If you do try them, please let me know how they can
be improved, what needs corrected, or whatever you think of them. They
are not offered as a finished product, but I'd like to get some other
input at this stage.

  Things I know need work:

        1) The Effects menu needs submenus. There are examples in the Snd .scm
files but I haven't had time to study how they're added.
        2) Some of the effects give no indication that they're working. If
moving the dialog window erases the display you'll know the processing
is active. Yeh, I know, that's stupid and we'll fix it, unless someone
else wants to help ?
        3) There is a recording input selector widget that probably only works
for the SBLive, sorry about that.
        4) Certain ranges are set strangely and I'm not sure why. In particular
the Moog filter needs some help. I'd like to get some input on
boundaries generally, so if something seems goofy let me know.
        5) Some of the data input widgets are inappropriate for the data type.
What can I say, I'm learning Motif as I go...

  I'm interested in any comments about the customizations. Btw, the best
way to see the new stuff in action is to load it into Snd like this:

        snd -l /path/to/misc.scm foo.wav

  I've also put up a JPG image of Snd with the drop-down effects menu
opened, along with some other opened windows & dialogs:

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/snd_pic_jpg.html

Beware, it's a rather large (360K) image...

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net