Re: [linux-audio-user] Compiling information - totally [OT]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Compiling information - totally [OT]
From: CLOTILDE (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 00:15:16 EEST

On 18 Sep 2001 16:21:22 -0700
"G.LeeJohnson" <TheCarpenters_AT_imyourhandiman.com> wrote:

> these golden rules.....gee ya think thats why windows is so popular???
> or is it just that people like Bill so much...lol

Ah hum
under windows there are tons of small audio apps. And often the audio cards vendors give a qubase-light with the cards. Maybe the problem is the lack of _small_ apps under linux like:
- a little recorder...working! not a given-with-the-distro grecord complaining about sox (sox was installed, grecord just wanted the full path /usr/bin/sox !).
- a little vu-meter. I desesperatly need one, snd comes with one, but so big, so... strange in term of design...
- why not just a 4-tracks recorder, easy to use. When I say easy to use, I mean just launch, select the recording and the playback, and start. On windows, there is the freeware Quartz which works just out the box or nearly. And we don't hear latency (just a C600 64 meg laptop) !

Don't get me wrong, I know the hard job programmers do. I thank you all.

But musicians have an open mind and they like to try a lot of things (ahem). And little apps are easy to learn. Once you try them and use them you want to go further.

But a non-geek will never begin with ardour , bc2000 or ecasound...

I need _small_ apps ! :)
just my 2 cents.