[linux-audio-user] midi input forwarder ?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] midi input forwarder ?
From: Yaacov Akiba Slama (slamaya_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 19:43:45 EEST

Hello !

I have two computers in a network;
C1 is a laptop with a good audio out but without midi port.
C2 is a desktop with a VIBRA16X integrated audio chip. It has a midi
port, but its audio output is not working very well.
I have also a midi keyboard and I want to connect it to C2 and to hear
the output of iiwusynth (for instance) in C1.
So, I have two options:
1) Execute the synth in C2 and use a sound forwarding solution to send
the sound to C1. I tried Esound, NAS with audiooss without success. Evev
if it worked, the latency would be enormous.
2) Forward the midi input from C2 to C1 and do the synth in C1. This
seems the best solution, but I didn't find any software to do that. So
my question is :
Do you know how to give a computer access to a midi port/device of
another one ? In fact I need only read access to the device (no
write/ioctl).

Thanks a lot,
ya