Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: splay_yaf, or any enhanced command-line mp3 player ???

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: splay_yaf, or any enhanced command-line mp3 player ???
From: Benjamin Forgeau (forgeau_AT_tu-harburg.de)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 22:58:52 EEST

        Hi,

        I think I forgot to say, oops, I mean on-the-fly of course. Quality
here is not my main interest, just mixing and playing at the same time.

        I never played with a sound deamon like esound, but would it be a
solution?? Two mpg123 processes with different volumes..

        I want to make a "mp3-jukebox", you know, the usual stuff, making
playlists and playing them. I want to chain songs.

        Why another mp3-jukebox?? Huumm, I cannot find want I want in the
existing systems.

                regards

                        ben

> Depends on what you want to do. If you don't want the mixed result
back as mp3,
> just record both mp3s to wav and mix them like normal.
>
> Otherwise, if your hardware supports hardware mixing (ie, SB Live)
you can play
> them both and record the PCM route to get the mix.
>
> But for both of these methods, reencoding to mp3 will double the
distortion that
> is introduced by mp3 compression, and it doesn't sound very good.

Benjamin Forgeau Raum 3032, Denickestr 17, 21073 Hamburg
FSP 4-06 Kommunikationsnetze Tel. +4940 42878 3485 Fax 42878 2941
TU Hamburg-Harburg mailto:forgeau_AT_tu-harburg.de
21071 Hamburg, Germany http://www.tu-harburg.de/et6