[linux-audio-user] Re: New work, new tools

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: New work, new tools
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 03:27:58 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:

> ...there's plenty I want to check out. Really looking
> forward to DLP's "new improved" Snd.

Serious improvements have taken place, especially WRT the user
interface. A greatly expanded effects processing menu is now available,
with the processing applied to whole-file/selected-area/marked-area, and
Bill's working on adding an "area-strict" option, i.e., your effect can
either stop at the area boundary or you can let it mix with the
following samples (if any). Very sweet. Some other goodies are available
in a package here:

        ftp://mustec.bgsu.edu/pub/linux/dp_scm.tar.gz

That package includes a new marks menu, a panic-control menu, and a few
other amenities.

> Ecasound is very cool, though I still haven't figured out exactly how to make the most of it.

I think ecasound is the true "Swiss Army knife" of Linux audio. There
not much you can't do with it, within its domain of application (it's
not trying to be Ardour). I hope to get a MidiMan Delta card soon: my
4-track could hook into that card's analog ins and I could at last do
try simple multichannel recording under Linux with ecasound.

Btw, I'm also writing a little page on using Boris Nagels' Multitrack.
Basically just a HOWTO, if anyone's interested, and I'd certainly
welcome contributions. I'm not publishing this one, I just want to put
an information on-line.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net