Re: [linux-audio-user] newbie question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] newbie question
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 14:46:23 EEST

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Steven Bellamy wrote:

> i'm an audio engineer just starting to use the linux platform for some
> research. I'm looking for advice on a type of audio card and drivers for
> high resolution (24bit/96ks) multichannel audio I/O. I've heard of the
> Hammerfall cards with Alsa drivers - just wondering if there is anything
> else out there....please advise

i have the m-audio delta audiophile 24/96, which is just like the delta
1010 (which i want) but only 2 analog ins and outs (plus stereo spdif in
and out). the deltas are great cards and much more affordable than the
hammerfalls, esp. if you just need analog i/o. latency with asio drivers
is *much* better on the hammerfalls, but with alsa and oss i don't know
how they compare. the hammerfalls and deltas are probably the only two
worth considering (terratec and hoontech (whoever they are) make cards
with the same chip as the deltas, and sell for less money, but support is
only listed as possible and not definite), and the choice is price vs.
performance.

fwiw,
dave