[linux-audio-user] Different device settings (was: Terratec 24/96 (Was: newbie question))

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Different device settings (was: Terratec 24/96 (Was: newbie question))
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 09:28:26 EEST

Hi,

dave willis wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Antti Boman wrote:
>
> > It seems I can get a Midiman Delta Audiophile or 44 for quite a
> > reasonable price, and if it's well supported as people have told, there
> > should be no reason to buy Terratec. I'd also rather buy a card from a
> > vendor that supports Linux more actively.
>
> the midiman/m-audio cards are slightly more in cost than the terratecs,
> but they also come with a ***lifetime*** warranty. that was the big
> selling point for me.
>
> and the card works great, but under alsa the driver wants to open *all* 10
> playback and 12 capture channels (assuming delta1010/esw88mt), which
> prevents use of mutliple programs and causes errors in
> /alsa-lib/test/latency. oss does not have this problem.

If you use the soundcard through the hw device this is true, you must supply
settings that conform with the hardware. For envy24 based cards this is very
strict.
Alsa, however, has other device types also, the most generic one being plug.
Through this device any setting (no. of channels for instance) is possible.
It is also possible to repartition the card, for example you could change the
card so it consists of 5 stereo pairs which could be used independently by
different programs. This, however, requires some configuration in the .asoundrc
file (sorry, I don't have the exact configuration available).

/Robert